Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fourteen

I remember my Mom telling me before I left to come back to Uganda, "It is worth going back.  Even if only 1 child goes home."  The other day I realized that we have 14 kids in sponsorship.  Within the first 3 months of being back, God has allowed Megan, myself, and our sponsors to be a part of 14 children returning to their families.  Fourteen families who had to give up their children because they simply did not have the means to provide for them. These families have their kids back.  And we get to help bridge that gap.  We get to be a part of bringing them home.  I am so thankful for that. 

When my Mom found out that 14 were officially in sponsorship she said to me, "It was worth going back, 14 times over".  She couldn't be more right.  I should have been in school this semester.  Now I am going to graduate a year late.  By the world's standards, and my own, I am not cut out for the job.  I am only halfway through my social work degree. I'm only 20 years old.  I knew nothing about the Ugandan social welfare system coming into this.  Almost all of the families I am working with speak little or no English.   Yet God, He chose me.  He qualified me beyond any of my own abilities. I rest in the fact that He will never give me anything I can't handle.  How cool is it that?   God doesn't look at our degrees, or resumes.  He doesn't ask us to pass a test before He sends us.  He gives us what we need and just asks us to trust Him along the way.


Updates:

Samuel went home with his Aunt Joweri on Friday.  Samuel is returning to his home in Mutai.  He will be living with his aunt, her husband and their 6 month old daughter named Cathy.  Uncle Miracle, Uncle Emma, and Uncle Daniel are pastors in Samuel's community.  They love Sam a lot and will be helping monitor his adjustment back home.

Sam ready to leave with his new mattress, bed sheets, blankets, clothes, and toys.  Thank you Auntie Krista!

Trevor ready to leave with his Jjaja.  Trevor left on sponsorship yesterday!  Trevor will be living with his grandparents, and some of his aunts and uncles.  Thank you Auntie Alisa for making this possible!

Esther with her Aunt, Jjaja, and Pastor Apollo.  Esther left on sponsorship yesterday as well.  She will be living with her Jjaja and lots of Aunts/cousins.

Esther with her Aunt, and her special elephant from her Auntie Megan.

Mebra and Isaac with their Christmas gifts.  We went to visit them today for a home visit and to give them their Christmas presents.  Thank you Auntie Heidi and Auntie Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment